Saturday, October 1, 2016

Accomplishing the purple cow

Remember my life goal of experiencing the Purple Cow? I finally did it! I told myself if I ever came across an individual can of grape soda, I would buy it to try it. For some reason, they hardly sell individual cans of purple grape soda at my local groceries, and I would not want buy an excessive liter or a 12-pack since I'm not particularly a fan of soda in general.

As destiny would have it, I have been enjoying the "Free Friday" digital coupons at my favorite grocery store Fry's Food. Each week, I can download a free item, usually some new product a company is trying to promote. Well, the lucky Friday came when they were promoting this Mountain Dew Kickstart drink, which comes in a variety of flavors. Of course, I picked up the "Midnight Grape," which is close enough for my purple cow experiment, and it has some real juice in it, so that makes it a bit healthier right? 

The soda itself is a deep wine-purple hue. 
The soda tasted like a mix of Welch's grape juice and carbonated chemicals. The hue is very pretty, like an amethyst gemstone in my drinking glass.
I didn't have plain vanilla ice-cream on hand when I decided to try to this experiment on a whim. But there was a leftover box of Neapolitan ice-cream my dad left in the freezer. Thus I used two small scoops, making sure I scraped more of the white ice-cream part, then watched the wonderful action of the foaming and fizzing as I poured the purple soda into it...
It turned out more like dusty-lilac rose color. Smelled and tasted like grape cough syrup, not the greatest. But the ice-cream soda was mighty pretty and interesting to look at...
Hooray for my first Purple Cow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment